NissanPure.com:

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

The Boss
Drives: S13.5 Nissan 240sx (Fastback)

#1 - 01-20-2014, 1:12 AM.

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for you if something happens to you or your car after doing this modification. If you're not somewhat knowledgeable in the braking system of your vehicle, do not attempt this, find someone that knows what they are doing and learn from them.

First off, you MUST have the 30MM version of the Z32 300ZX brake calipers. I bought the brackets from Z1 Motorsports and they are intended for the 300zx.

If you are doing this conversion to an S13/S14 you will most likely encounter the same problems I had with slight spacing issues. The only solution? Measuring + trial and error.

Start by bolting the bracket up to the knuckle....

Throw the rotor on and test fit the caliper onto the bracket to see where you will need to add spacers in order to effectively center the caliper.

After many attempts, this is what I ended up with...

The red arrow indicates the spacers I used to get the desired spacing for perfect fitment. Please keep in mind your car will most likely be a little different.

After the spacing issue was solved, I was presented with another little problem...

The caliper was ever so slightly touching the bolt head of the bolt securing the bracket to the knuckle.

It was such a small clearance, a quick session with the dremel solved all my problems.

After doing that, I continued to test fit until I was satisfied...

Once you are content with how the rotor sits with the caliper, pull the caliper and rotor back off and LOCTITE the bracket onto the knuckle. You don't want the bracket to EVER come loose. Also don't be afraid to invest in new fresh set of lock washers. Safety goes a long way.

Now, rinse and repeat for the other side, and DO NOT assume you will use the same thickness of spacers on the other side. I can almost guarantee it will be slightly different. So don't get lazy, be sure to be thorough and do the same process of lining up the rotor perfectly!!!

After it's all said in done, you are presented with a beastly look.

The perfect size rotor for 17" wheels, IMO.

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 01-20-2014, 1:17 AM.

Novice
Drives: S14

#2 - 01-21-2014, 5:10 PM.

I don't recommended doing this conversion. Yes, it's easy and cheap, to an extent, but you waste about a .25" of pad. By that I mean, that is the amount of pad that hangs off the very outside edge of the rotor and is not used. This is just a precaution for those that do not know. I had this setup on my S14 and have since switched to Wilwood FSL 4pots, partially because of this very reason.

The Boss
Drives: S13.5 Nissan 240sx (Fastback)

#3 - 01-21-2014, 5:15 PM.

Yes, that is true. These rotors are MASSIVE compared to the stock Z32 components. I noticed an increase in stopping power, but I can imagine the weight difference between the rotors negates most of the gains.

Size comparison:

Z33 track rotor (left), Z32 rotor (right)

Novice
Drives: `05 Porsche Carrera GT (now Repo'd)

#4 - 01-24-2014, 11:36 AM.

This "upgrade" looks wrong in every way.

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ