NissanPure.com:

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Novice
Drives: s13s

#1 - 01-26-2014, 9:39 PM.

Hopefully some of you recognize my sn from zilvia or NRR, but maybe not.

I'm Alex. I live in Oregon.

Been playing with s13s since Sept. 04 when I bought my first one, a '90 coupe XE.

Day one of purchase:

I didn't really know anything, being 19yo and in college, but it ended up looking like this.... (powertrix coils and arms, jdmtyte wheels lol)

Before the ebrake cable snapped and it rolled down my parents' hill backwards and hit a chevy astro parked at the bottom (because I'm an idiot and didn't leave it in gear). Sept. '06

A month later I picked up my white hatch, which I had for six years or so. Day of purchase:

This car saw a LOT of parts and changes, starting with Stances and some ebay control arms with a stock sohc, then a SOHC-T with buildt motor and all that, then an SR, and ending with Koni 86 setup, OS giken diff, s14 subframe, gt2876r, etc etc.

One fateful night a couple years ago (Dec. 2012) I spun the car on an onramp (laggy 2876 + rs3 tire + 32* out = no grip):

After six years, she was dead :( Actually I sold the shell all stripped out and someone else put the car back together. I took the opportunity to chassis swap to my current coupe:

Three days after the wreck I bought this coupe:

And this is how she looks today:

In her natural environment:

I've pretty much tried to build the best of the best (within my budget) with this car. It's got a still-stock-bottom-end-SR with stock hg, hks cams, a GTX2867 and supporting mods there. SPL's full catalog with s14 subframe, Koni 8611s f/r, Giken diff, and all the other standard 240 fixins. I'm not blazing new trails with the car, it's just pretty from 15ft and has a lot of money poured into it. It lives in the garage year round, getting taken out for autocross and track days, and the occasional weekly meet (we've been having them for 6-7 years every Thursday).

In addition to the coupe, I also accidentally a fastback "daily driver" project last year.

It started as this:

And today, more or less:

The car has a 2871, pfc, 740s, helical and r32 gtr seats, all battle version control arms and Koni 8610s f/r. Stock SR still, including cams, but I suspect I will throw in a set of Poncams here pretty quick.

I don't really have all this money to throw around but I flip 240s and parts on the side to subsidize my own habit. As much as I dislike drifting, I have made good money from 'the scene' (used in a somewhat derogatory fashion) and 'drift tax.' Among the 240s that have come and gone from my garage are:

And the most recent that I sold for my good friend:

And to belabor this intro some more, these are some of the other cars that I've owned over the last 4 or 5 years:
95 miata torsen car:

Grey market 323i e30:

92 legacy touring wagon w/ bigger turbo, susp, etc etc:

Another torsen miata that I bought stock and did revalved bilsteins, big front bar, roll bar, bucket, wheels, etc

And not pictured are a mk2 gti 8v that I had before my first 240, or a b13 Sentra se-r. In addition I've had 3 86-89 Accords (my first love and how I met my best friend, and my best man), a tercel 4wd, a DA integra, and prob another car or two. My current daily driver is a 2004 Matrix XRS (dat 2zz!!) and my wife bought me a 91 Ford Ranger 4cyl 5spd for Christmas that has 74k miles on it haha -- $300!

So yeah, that's me. I'm a pretty die-hard car guy that just happens to have 240s. I subscribe strongly to the KISS method of car building and that's why I'm happy with my relatively stock SRs. Since I don't have a real truck or trailer, it's important to me to keep my cars 100% streetworthy, quiet and comfortable.

I have 'adopted' a handful of local s-chassis kids over the past few years and drag them to autocross with me so they can learn to drive and not be n00bs. I wish more drift idiots came to autocross to learn some driving at the limit before totalling more and more s-chassis, but autocross doesn't have enough blogs or e-fame attached to it. Oh well.

Anyhow, that's me :)

Last edited by e1_griego on 01-27-2014, 3:50 AM.

The Boss
Drives: S13.5 Nissan 240sx (Fastback)

#2 - 01-27-2014, 3:43 AM.

Very nice. I want to start doing something similar very soon. Start buying 240sx's with potential, fix them up and sell to people who will treat it right. Otherwise people are just going to buy these cars, not want to fix them up and just total them and rinse and repeat.

Novice
Drives: S13

#3 - 01-27-2014, 4:06 AM.

It's good to have some people from NRR checking this place out.

Pure Member
Drives: 1989 Nissan 240sx / 2010 Toyota Prius

#4 - 01-27-2014, 5:14 PM.

Welcome, Nice stable, Just curious as to the sizing of your RPF1's on the coupe (tires as well) love the way the car sits.

Novice

#5 - 01-27-2014, 6:35 PM.

17x9 +22/17x9.5 +38 (with s14 subframe, so +33 effectively). 255/40 rs3s all the way around, but I have a set of Star Spec Z2s going on this weekend :)

The hatch is 17x9 +35 f/r with a 10mm spacer in front and 245/40 Continental DW tires which are excellent for PNW climate. The car has too much camber f/r because I started out with some 17x9 +17 knockoff Works that I had for 3 weeks before changing my mind. Plus I picked up that set of RPF1s for $300 :)

Novice
Drives: 89 R32 GTS-T

#6 - 01-28-2014, 2:58 PM.

Originally posted by KiLLeR2001 »
Very nice. I want to start doing something similar very soon. Start buying 240sx's with potential, fix them up and sell to people who will treat it right. Otherwise people are just going to buy these cars, not want to fix them up and just total them and rinse and repeat.

been there, done that. the market place for the most part locally is flooded with broke kids who want things for free. I actually had kids from other states wanting to put down deposits and fly down and drive it back to rust country.... Best way to make money it seems as locals are a bit of a joke.

Seeing what some people do to them with belt sanders and shit locally makes me want to vomit... "gee this paint isn't good, let me sand off the rest of it and leave the car as is till I can afford to paint it"....

Welcome, Love the Subie wagon.

Last edited by nismogabby on 01-28-2014, 2:59 PM.

Novice

#7 - 01-28-2014, 3:04 PM.

it's sort of the same around here, but I haven't had too much trouble offloading any of the 240s I've put up for sale.

A couple I sold as shells because it's just easier, but the first couple I bought as rollers and did KA and 5spd swaps. My pricing hasn't been stupid high, just enough to make $1500-2kish per car after I buy motor, etc.

The Boss
Drives: S13.5 Nissan 240sx (Fastback)

#8 - 01-28-2014, 9:32 PM.

Well, being in Florida... I have a lot of rust free chassis's at my disposal. As time goes on, people will be willing to travel farther for a clean body.

Novice

#9 - 01-28-2014, 9:46 PM.

The Willamette valley, where I live, is a pretty perfect climate for cars, and it's the reason that we have one of the larger concentrations of old Datsuns in the US. They don't salt the roads here (and it doesn't really get that cold), and the summers aren't much over 90* usually. Dashes survive, no rust -- it's not bad.

Novice
Drives: `05 Porsche Carrera GT (now Repo'd)

#10 - 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM.

in comparison to the nissan, here is what ive noticed about the mazda

- tin can chassis. metal is super thin (equal to junky cars of today, like cube or scion)
- lots of rattles (due to loose vagina chassis)
- leaks. no matter how much i attempt to seal and fix, it still manages to drip (mostly motor oil). all the seals & gaskets i used are OEM too.

ive got a 99 that ive done a lot of work to. its a decent car (now), but the amount of headache this car has given and continues to give me appears to be endless

i think its a car for "malakes"

Novice

#11 - 01-29-2014, 12:02 PM.

Hahaha.

the old-man two-tone miata was my most recent one. 94 A package car (ie. torsen + power steering) did RB tubular race bar, the bilsteins/gc with ISC top hats, the hard dog, the DTC wheels (which I love), the catback exhaust and *then* I put a bucket in. I'm 6'2" so me + seat + roll bar were all trying to occupy the same space, so the seat was twisting as it was resting on the (moved) seatbelt.

I could have cut the car up to fit, but I had the blue fastback shell already laying around since I was going to flip it. Decided to just sell the miata and dump all the money into the s13. Very happy with my decision. My miata didn't actually leak as I had just installed a new robbins top on it, but the current owner of the car who I'm friends with reports that he's got at least a couple leaks from the soft top.

My earlier green one with the (beat to hell) hardtop was mostly dry, but on the freeway in the rain water would spit at you from the back of the windows, coming through the vertical seal.

I love miatas, but I don't think I'll own another one, except for an NC.

Novice
Drives: `05 Porsche Carrera GT (now Repo'd)

#12 - 01-29-2014, 10:40 PM.

nah man, i wasnt talking about leaking water.. i was talking about leaking OIL. the BP motors feel loose, all the parts tend to dribble oil here and there. i've already had to re-seal the 5spd manual transmission casing and the engine has been fully rebuilt at around 140k due to worn rod bearing (#4). these cars just dont take a beating well and thats where the build quality shows.

and the parts are SO fucking overpriced

Novice

#13 - 01-29-2014, 10:44 PM.

Oh oh oh, yeah all my miatas weeped a bit lol.

CAS o-ring replacement to start off both purchases, but could always smell oil even after that.

I built the white one for pretty cheap because I found deals on everything (used) except the bar which was $530 shipped.

But you hit a wall really quick with miatas, in my estimation. If you want more than some susp and bolt-ons you pay through the nose.

Novice
Drives: 89 R32 GTS-T

#14 - 02-05-2014, 12:48 PM.

I know several of the big miata guys, they aren't spending stupid money compared to some of the other platforms we have built. they are factory go carts anyway, they are supposed to be light, noisy and a lot to be desired if you want comfort.

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ