NissanPure.com:

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Novice
Drives: S13 vert, S13.5 Fastback, 01 Windstar SE Sport

#1 - 01-17-2014, 1:42 AM.

Here is a summary of my build thread. I do have this up on a local forum, and another place to leave unmentioned. Since I have made a lot of progress I figured I would share with every one here that makes there way here. Enjoy!

At this point I have owned an S13 for over 10 years Below is the day I had it delivered to me. It needed work and over time taught me so much from trial and error.
Day 1 picture was about 6/4/04

As a young guy I realized that a rolling project was impossible. so I picked up a slightly worn s13 project to bring back. Due to some rust issues, and titling problems it became a parts car over time. I would say this build is using a lot of little bits, including interior plastics from it.

This car donated the KA drive train, 5speed swap parts, VLSD, HICAS swaybars, doors, and some other random bits as well. I learned alot from completely dismatling this one.

What was left of the donor after I cut it up in a Autozone parking lot. Oh the stares I received were priceless.

Enough With the background, On with the build....

So as the years have gone by and i got my hands on deals here and there. Then I found me a suitable shell priced just right at $200 with a clean title and no rust. Only issues was it was missing alot of stuff. No interior, half a block, ALL the wiring in the spare tire well, ect. How ever it did have a lot of randomness in it, by selling off some (unusable to me) parts that were in it I made a little bit of money, the car almost paid for it self.

As you can see all the wiring had been pulled and placed into the spare tire well. I ended up not using any of it. I went with an all option SE 5speed Coupe interior harness, Base model 5speed Hatch engine room harness, and a Super HICAS Upper & Lower engine harness. Surprisingly every thing that is hooked up works with exception of the power locks. I also lack the cruise control wiring but I don't really care. I have an entire S13 harness that is from a Loaded S13 5speed Hatch, but I am not swapping it in any time soon. I will be hanging on to it for a rainy day though.

The reason it died...

The first place this project called home with me was this storage unit that they kindly let me use as a garage. While I was grateful to have a sheltered space, it sucked. Not that my tight spaced garage is way better, I don't have to drive 15 min to get to it.

3/13/11

Leaving me to head to the painter 3/14

small update as of 3/30

This came in on 4/04/11

So many months went by and I had not seen my car for while. My wife and friends were urging me to lay eyes on my car, just to make sure it was still around. I drove over to the shop before work and snapped some pictures. All the body panels are being worked on else where, I was told.

9/06/11

9/07/11 Talked to my painter, all the body panels are painted ready to go. Including the fenders, doors, bumpers, side skirts, and the 50mm over fenders. just the shell will need to be finished. He sent me this one photo for an up date on some of those parts.

10/04/11

10/10/11 Well she is back home. I am going to assemble the car in to a running shape and attach all the panels. Then I will drive it back to the painter, again to even out the paint. So this weekend if I can find the time, I am going to go through the motor I have for it. I know i will need to replace some seals, and gaskets ect ect. I want to have it running on its own 2 legs soon so the body can be finished off. Then I will work on the mountain of other stuff for the car.

3/7/12 Well many delays have stopped me from working on this. Mainly working on other peoples cars, and even building another 240SX for some one else. can not complain I am making money. But in the last couple of weeks I have had a little bit of time I could get to work on this. I will post more as I go. I have a fair amount of parts lined out for this project.

3/13/12 Here what I did Friday. I would have done more but dual ear infection and upper respiratory infection was making me feel like crap, so I did nothing the rest of the weekend. Crappy cell pictures but meh not that important.

3/13/12 My 300ZX rotors were really rusty from sitting out side by the previous owner. they each took an acid bath, followed by a sodium bicarbonate bath. ( I ended up only using the rear rotors since the front were 30mm Z32 and I am running the 26mm Z32 calipers.)

All four cleaned up

All four painted to stop any further rust till I am ready to use them.

couple things came in the mail too

Here is a few shot of getting the tempary KA together.
this morning when I got started

How I left it when I went to bed at 10 or so.

How it sits right now. Almost done with it...

Doing work

Here is a little more progress

And few more parts. Matching Gauge set, and a rare no longer produced Nismo key.

4/23/12 well as always had some things keep me from getting to my project. last 2 weekends I have been working on my baby sister's first car/beater. She picked up an S13 Hatch that was in need of some work. I have it drivable, and was able to put in a little work on mine this weekend.

All I did here was line up the fender with the passenger door leaving the front loose to adjust with the bumper and hood. the fender is pretty dusty.

Drilled out holes on my rear quarter and installed Jack nuts and allen head screws with finishing washer. I like the way it turned out. Th hardware will end up getting a coat of paint.

couple more angles

other side for comparison

Post from 9/12/12

Here Is my First conversion harness for the headlights and turn signal. I made a revised version so I can run High and low beams. For those of you who don't know a ton about Nissans S15 head lights in general there is a 3 pin plug for the turn signal on the S15 headlights is incredibly hard find on USDM Nissans, and tracking them down from over seas takes a little while. So if you are looking for a pair PM me and we can work some thing out.

9/4/12 Here is a crappy Iphone picture with the hood on.

I have every thing hooked up, other than the cat back exhaust. I am missing a bracket to mount the muffler on. At this point it should run. But I am not getting a signal to my fuel pump. I did not have time to trouble shoot it too much. I Know my pump is good, and my fuse is good. I need to check continuity of the wires and test the relay. I am hoping it is the relay that is an easy fix as I have tons of them laying around. I am not in the mood to pull the entire harness from my parts car, even though I really want to.

9/4/12 9am EST IT LIVES!!!!

Turns out the fuel pump relay was bad, easy fix. It was loud as a tank with no cat back exhaust on it. Brings me back when I had to run open header on my old 89 s13. One of the first start ups. Running open header, seems like bit of a miss, and using unknown age fuel. I am aiming to pump out the old fuel this weekend, change the spark plugs, and hang the stock exhaust if the bracket comes in the mail by then. Then mounting the body panels on. Should be down hill from here as long as the painter does his end faster this time around.

[YT]hEAbMEIrkn4[/YT][/QUOTE]

9/10/12 Here is are the custom hood hings I made from s13, S14 hinges. They put the hood in a good starting point, but I need to notch them for perfect placement. It is about 1/8 inch back, and I had to add spacers to raise the hood on the hinges.

Here is a mock mount to see what I need to trim on the bumper for the FMIC

Crappy cell pic for the bumper placement. I will get a better one as soon as the bumper is mounted.

5/29/13

So Life has been in the way of making much progress on this project of mine. Kids, fixing/building/rebuilding other peoples cars, ect. However I cleared enough time to finally put in more work. It is ready to send back to paint to have the shades evened out. I am aiming to have it 90% complete with my current parts on hand for I.A. at the KY Speedway this July. It will still be rocking the pokey NA KA. The Boost will be a winter project.

Here is a short video of the headlights using my conversion plug and play harness working with the factory wiring.

[YT]SNQAGo70ShU[/YT]

7/6/13
Today I did half a 5 lug swap. Tomorrow I will do the other half. You can see a huge change in the car's stance with the new wheel tire combo. I will post the finish 5 lug swap tomorrow. The car should also be headed back to paint on Monday, or Tuesday, but that could change.

7/8/13
Finished up the 5 lug swap, did not get any photos of the other side yet. Was a very busy day. My little gear head helped me out on changing the fuel lines.

8/18/13
The beginning of this month the car went back to paint to have the different shades fixed. I got it back Friday 8/9/13, And started taking bites out of my blue elephant. I put the Quarter windows in, installed all weather stripping, rubber stopper, locks, handles, fuel door, Tail lights, wiper sprayers, mirrors, Stripped old window tint, Plastic dipped a lot of exterior trim parts + mirrors, windshield wiper system, Plasti Dipped strut tower bars plus installed them, And I am sure there are more things I am forgetting. I am waiting on the extreme bulk pack of Dynamat to come in to put down for sound deadening inside. Then all the wiring can be tied down to it's permanent spot, and the plastics can go in. I also need to fix the rear bumper add on, should be picking up the hardware for it tomorrow. This how she looked before I put her up tonight.

9/15/13
More progress has been done, it is coming together a little bit at a time. I wanted to go black with all of the interior with no charcoal or dark gray fabric. Ritt dye is all but useless for car interior. After a some online research, Duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint is what was decided to take every thing black.

Since most of the factory sound deading was removed when I bought it I installed some Dynamat to lessen the heat and sound. The Cargo area still needs to be covered but more dynamat needs to be purchased to cover it.

Above you can see the car audio wires ran. Plan on putting in some quality sound.

11/03/13
So I put in some work the past couple of days, and since the last pictures posted. Please excuse my mess it is a work in progress lol.

11/23/13
Put in a little more work. Resprayed the wheels and then cleared them, they pop now. It is good enough till I am set up to powder coat them. Then a set of eBay pleather seats. Drivers side on a bride super low bracket. was not low enough for me at 6'3", so I sold the seats today. Had a random rock kill my windshield too, weird luck... any ways that was replaced today as well.

11/26/13
So I made the decision on seating after a few hours of debating with myself, and the opinion of a friend that will help me out with the mounting.

Drove 2 hours one way and pick this good shape Sparco Fighter seat which is big man friendly.

I have a lead on a couple semi local Sparco Fighter seats. I will be picking one up with my Xmas bonus then I will have matching seats. I am strongly considering ordering the Red covers with black accents to replace the old worn cover on my current seat.

12/3/13
I washed and dyed the Sparco Fighter seat cover until I pick up a 2nd Sparco Fighter seat. Then I will order one or both as needed. I am tempted to order a red cover for the pair I end up with. I will be picking up a tube notcher, and the DOM tubing later this month to do the mounting and harness bar.

12/5/13
Here are some terrible cell pictures I took after I plasti dipped, and mounted my new roof spoiler that came in this past week.

Then I found this gem brand new with all the plastic packaging still on it for $25 shipped. I plan on going with a lot of Sparco gear.

12/8/13

Found a Killer Deal on a mint Red Sparco Fighter seat. I drove 300 miles one way to pick it up. Tomorrow I will be ordering a matching Red cover for the black Fighter seat. My Little Gearhead's favorite color is red so he was beside himself when I got home with the seat. The color looks much better in person the flash is washing it out badly with the light I have in the living room. My aim is to do the needed fab work the week after xmas and before new years and mount them in same day.

12/19/13
I ordered a new red cover for my black Sparco cover with OGRacing.com. Turns out they are on back order and no one keeps it in stock from coast to coast, including Sparco USA. I went ahead and placed my order, the next day I checked with Sparco USA to check on back orders this time of year. I was at first expecting to hear 6-8 weeks. That I can deal with, but I was told the last back order was 11 months old and still waiting. This put me in bit of a oh crap mode. After some hunting, another mint Red Sparco fighter was found in St. Louis MO. Just before making the trip I was informed that it would be the end of January that I could realistically expect the new cover in. Being impatient about waiting I went ahead and made the trip out west to trade some parts I had on hand and pick up the seat. Now I own 3 Sparco fighter seats. Woot! And my Black seat is already pending sale for what I have into it. Thankfully the special order request had not been processed by Sparco USA for my red seat cover and I was able to get a refund. But instead of just taking the cash back I dropped it and some more cash on a new Sparco steering wheel since I don't care for the one I put in. The new one looks a lot better, matching the seats and other "Sparco" items in the car. I am very happy with it. Also with me spending over $200 at OGRacing I received a free Sparco Icon hoodie, my choice in color and size. Shipping on every thing they had in stock was very fast I will be buying from them in the future.

And last, I started working on the wiring for my S14 SR20DET swap. This looks far more intimidating than it really is. Just to fill you in on what I am working with, I pulled this motor set out of a RHD swap S13 body. And as far as I can tell has 180SX wiring. The dash plug is a white female plug where as usdm have white male plugs for 89/90 and a brown male plug for 91-94. Then the pin outs on the power interface are all different. I was told it was a Wiring Specialties upper and lower harness. But there is noting to confirm it, and Yuri is too busy to walk through confirming it for me. But he did give me a heads up on the different pin outs which was a great lead. After scouring FSM's, YouTube, and some other online references I found the answers I needed. With some work I have every thing just about ready to go. Every thing reaches where it needs to be all connections are soldered into place. I need to repair a single terminal, and I am going to make a jumper harness for the dash plug, and two power plugs. That way IF I ever part ways with the SR and some one with a RHD 180SX wired body can just plug and play, as can all the other S13 owners. I will post up finished products once I am finished but here it all is boxed up. Again looks worse than it is.

I realized that I did not have a decent picture of the car as it sits. So here ya go

12/27/13
Today, a good friend and I tackled a fabricating a mounting set up for my Sparco Fighter seats. We had enough time for the drivers side.

here is the fabrication work to show how we went so low.

1/10/13
When ever the weather improves I will put up some better pictures.

Put in more work today, My friend Eric, and finished up mounting the passenger side seat, and fabbed a harness bar using the gutted shell of the rear seat belt assemblies, thick sheet metal, and some 1" DOM tubing. Only thing that did not work out was my harnesses do not reach, so Looks Like I will be looking for a new set of Harnesses that can reach.

This last part is just a generalized blog type rambling. Mainly typing out what I have in mind right now.

Next up would be the back seat delete. MDF board will be used to level the carpet out where the Hatch cargo area starts. I am considering a few variations but I will share my current top choice. Once the MDF is set up, the 4 channel amp and 2 channel amp will be sunk into where your butt would go in the back seat, and a 10" sub in the center. Or place both amps on one side and the sub in the other butt area depending on space. It will have a truck box backing up under it to provide the bass some depth. Not wanting this to shake the block or even my car, just some depth to my music. I would have went with an 8" woofer but the 10" Rockford popped up in the truck box for $20, hard to pass up. There are 2 ways from here; if 6X9's on hand can be shoved into the rear speaker factory location after some extensive trimming, or if that does not pan out, the pair of 6X9's will be placed in to 6X9" boxes on top of the rear seat delete MDF board. And last I would set up a privacy cover for the cargo area. This is my top choice right now, so I won't go into the other ideas at this time.

There are a few thing left that would be nice to have Plasti Dipped; The red sheet metal that can be seen on the fire wall that the carpet does not cover. All the window trim that looks old and worn that I have not covered yet. And Last to respray a few things that are pealing back up for various reasons, the trim at the bottom of the windshield, Coin cup, and third tail light.

Powder coating, there is soo much That I want to cover with this. I am not dead set on a color scheme yet. Few Ideas come to mind. first is kinda generic Silver, and black on all suspension, engine brackets and other parts. An alternative would be all Red suspension arms and undecided on other Items as well. I feel this would give me a running Blue, Red, Gray, and Black color scheme that will pop and stand out.

As for the suspension, the plans for all of it would be along the lines of reinforcing all the arms and front brace to mimic the Nismo stuff and of course the above mentioned powder coating, along with all new bushings.

Then there is great power plant calmly waiting in the garage, which is a S14 SR20DET. It is a great running motor, just begging for a cleaning, some powder coating, and to be dropped in already. I feel like I might be swayed to an LS1 down the road though. but that is at least a year or 2 out before I would go there.

And last for now is the Dash, a few Ideas come to mind. This will be some thing way down the road for me to get to eventually. So this will be put as short as I can. I want to extend the Cluster "hump" out where it comes down over the center of the dash. This new area will be set up with all the gauges that will be used, and if Space is willing I have an analog clock from a Q45 that would look like a great added feature.

There are a handful of small things to tie up still, but the above mentioned are some of the bigger tasks for now. I hope you enjoyed reading through my thoughts on this project. Stay tuned to see it all come to reality in some form over time.

The Boss
Drives: S13.5 Nissan 240sx (Fastback)

#2 - 01-17-2014, 2:01 AM.

Every time I see this build thread it reminds me I need to get off my ass and do some work.

I'm about to pull the quarter glass on my car, any tips/tricks so I don't screw anything up?

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ