[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 508: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 508: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3902)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3902)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3902)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3902)
Nissan Pure Forums • Killer's Minty Fresh 2tone Coupe Build

NissanPure.com:

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The Boss
Drives:

#41 - 01-02-2014, 11:24 PM.

A little peace of mind...

The Boss
Drives:

#42 - 01-02-2014, 11:24 PM.

I'll just leave this here...

edit:

Volk GT-C's in gold. Face 2. 4x114.3, 17x8 +21 and 17x9 +21.

The Boss
Drives:

#43 - 01-02-2014, 11:25 PM.

Well, after 6 months I finally have my hands on an original two-tone K's front bumper!!!

Shout out to Shane for trying to help me get this thing down here, I know you're a busy man so I felt bad bugging you all the time! Sorry for that.

Also major props to Anthony (Tunis11) for holding this thing for me for so long! Thank you!!!

As far as the Silvia front goes, I'll slowly collect parts for it here and there, but ultimately won't begin the conversion until the S13.5 is finished.

Parts I'm still waiting on:

- HKS license frame (Edwin)
- Coupe rain visors (Masai)

Chop chop suckas! :)

The Boss
Drives:

#44 - 01-02-2014, 11:25 PM.

Had a nice little jam packed day today. Feels like I never have the time anymore to work on the car so have to do as much as I can with the free time available to me.

Started off my day early in the morning running to the Firestone to have the tires dismounted off of the LMGT4's and then mounted onto the GT-C's. Only problem with that is I can't fit 8 wheels into an S13 coupe. So I had to make two trips.

Wheels getting some rubber. Hanging out eating pizza empanadas lol.

So lets get into the mounting and fitment.

For reference here is the SE's...

*** Warning Monster Truck Status ***

Transformation begins!!! Bwahahahahha.

After looking at the wheels from all angles, I just couldn't deal with the monster truck height. At this point I was tired of running around all day swapping wheels back and forth. But no way I could leave it like this... So on goes the Tein lowering springs!

Much better! Now I just need some coupe rain visors and then I'll be able to focus on the hatch. :)

The Boss
Drives:

#45 - 01-02-2014, 11:25 PM.

So I blacked out and decided to make a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSRaWqFBpCI

I did this in under 8 hours, I'm on no sleep. G'night all.

The Boss
Drives:

#46 - 01-02-2014, 11:26 PM.

Swapped over the one piece aluminum driveshaft from the s13.5 to the 2tone.

A little bit peppier on the acceleration, which is much appreciated dealing with a KA24E, lol.

Next up is the VLSD.

The Boss
Drives:

#47 - 01-02-2014, 11:26 PM.

VLSD swap finished today. I feel like there aren't enough videos of actual work getting done in people's build threads so I've decided to include a few clips from today... Hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsyBjiTuJnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVroRR-sSXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X20rnCuSIkk

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 01-02-2014, 11:26 PM.

The Boss
Drives:

#48 - 01-02-2014, 11:27 PM.

Finally!!! The rain visors arrived. Courtesy of an awesome packing job by none other than Masai himself.

When I got home from work, I immediately began the unboxing process. Took over 30 minutes, but definitely worth not having to deal with shattered visors, LOL.

I literally spent two days (one day per side) removing the old double sided tape from the visors.

The rubbing alcohol and goo gone combo helped a little bit, but for the most part required hard scraping with a plastic scraper. At first I tried using my AutoZone card, but after 10 minutes the card started to show signs of fatigue.

After all the gunked up tape was removed I decided to mock up the visors to the car to see how the oem purplish clear tint would look. The verdict: Ugly. Not only is the color ugly against the body, but you can see right through the visors, which makes the double sided tape and clips clearly visible.

At this point, there's only one thing left to do... Paint!

Visors laid out ready to be wet sanded.

Wet sanded with 1500 grit. Just to scuff them up for paint.

Decided to go with VHT Nite Shades because I wanted a little bit of transparency to remain. I got a little carried away, this is after 5 coats.

Waited about an hour and then sprayed the clear.

That's after 7 coats of clear. Still a little orange peeley...

About 24 hours later, I tried to wet sand with 2000 grit and polish a small section and it wasn't turning out any better. I probably need a real polisher and some heavy force to get the smooth shine, but doing this by hand I was a little weary of applying any hard pressure as I didn't want to risk cracking the plastic. So for now, I'll have to leave it as is.

Prepping the area for tape and installation!

Installed! There is about 5% transparency with these so they are pretty much jet black.

I will have daytime pictures tomorrow.

The Boss
Drives:

#49 - 01-02-2014, 11:27 PM.

I also decided to clean up the headlight shrouds earlier today as well...

Before:

After:

It's the little things that count!

==================================================

With that said, I think this marks the end of this build for the time being. Time to focus on the S13.5.

However, when the time comes, I have a list of things to further enhance the beauty of this vehicle:

- Silvia Front Conversion
-> K's bumper
-> Bricks
-> GT-R grille (painted body color)
- Silvia Aero
-> OEM front lip
-> OEM sideskirts (Silvia)
-> OEM rear valences
-> OEM rear spoiler w/ 3rd brake light
-> Roof spoiler (Origin?)
- Remove / fill in rear side marker holes.
- Paint side view mirrors body color.

As for a powerplant, I'm really pushing for a CA18DET with 240BHP. So that way the 240sx nomenclature still has meaning. :)

The Boss
Drives:

#50 - 01-02-2014, 11:27 PM.

Daytime pictures as promised!

I'm really enjoying the new look. Was never a big fan of the rain visors on the hatchback, but I really think they compliment the coupe well.

The Boss
Drives:

#51 - 01-02-2014, 11:27 PM.

Pictures of tonights meet. I got there a little late so all the cars were on the other side of the Sonic's...

The Boss
Drives:

#52 - 01-02-2014, 11:27 PM.

Had a little boo-boo with the car. Words of advice: Roll your rear fender lips before lowering and installing aftermarket wheels. Ever since I lowered the car on the GT-C's I've been dealing with the rear tires hitting the inside fender lip on bumpy roads. I wasn't too concerned because it didn't happen that often...

Well I was on my way to a friend's house to help him figure out why his car wouldn't start, and I hit a dip in the road. A very smooth dip that wasn't visible from the road, but enough of a quick elevation change to cause suspension distress. Needless to say, the body slammed into my tire at full force catapulting my ass out of the seat and hitting my head on the roof of the car! WTF!

After I got to my friend's house I immediately went to the rear quarter panels... Driver side was fine, but then I saw the passenger side...

Noooo!!! The stress from the inner fending lip bending in caused the paint to crack. After being bummed out for the rest of the night and realizing my safety is in danger if the fender lip were to pop my tire... I decided to roll the fenders myself... with a baseball bat.

I borrowed the heat gun from my friend and took my time. No further damage was done to the paint so I was happy about that. After I rolled the fenders the inside of the fender lips were scratched up, so I decided to finally try out the 3M Undecoating I saw Shane using in his vert build.

This is a big ass can so on top of spraying this on the inner fender lip, I decided to freshen up my rear wheel wells in general.

Upon first spray of this product, I fell in love. I was testing it out from a distance and this shit shout out with some fucking authority. Gonna use a fuck ton of this on the S13.5 I can already tell.

Masking job.

Here is a before shot of the driver side wheel well...

After...

Boom.

Making our way back to the issue with the crack on the paint. I bought a paint pen from PaintScratch.com in attempt to make it not as noticeable.

It did a pretty good job. I'll have to get it fixed properly one day but for now I'm pretty satisfied that I won't have to deal with any rusting problems.

Oh yeah, I also bought a car cover.

The Boss
Drives:

#53 - 01-02-2014, 11:28 PM.

You know, I've been trying to stop modifying this car but it keeps whispering into my ear, telling me it desires more.

One thing that always bothered me about the coupe was the cheesy USDM trunk lock cylinder. It's just a circle... ok... At least on the hatch it is somewhat concealed and inconspicuous. So after viewing a few pages on the TTPS thread and I see countless number of Silvia trunk locks, I decided it was time.

This is probably the newest OEM part I own. Surprised they are still making these in 2013.

So goddamn sexy. I decided to go square style because eventually I will go CA18DET. For those of you who aren't in the know, the square style was on all '88 to '90 Silvias and the oval style was from '91 to '94.

Comparison between the bland USDM lock cylinder and the "JDM as FUQ" lock cylinder.

After the initial 'kid admiring his new gift during Christmas' phase, I decided I needed to man the fuck up and switch out the cylinders so I can utilize my original key. It's not too hard, but a little bit of a pain.

I'd recommend studying the lock a little bit before taking it apart, at least snap a picture if your short term memory has been long gone for awhile now... After you get the little c-clip off, rod arm and the spring, you must pry off the front metal casing on the USDM cylinder.

I got a little flathead screwdriver and started working around it slowly. It is pretty thin gauge metal so it doesn't take much force to pry it up.

Finally it comes off, which then allows the key cylinder to slide right out.

Cleaned it up nicely and sprayed some white lithium grease in to freshen it up from 24 years of use.

After you do that, its time to work on the JDM unit. Obviously you want to be a little more careful on this piece since you just paid $85 for it brand new... I mean... Yeah.

The same steps follow here, remove the c-clip, pull the rod off, remove the spring. Now they made it a lot easier to remove the cylinder but at the cost of using plastic, and plastic means breakable. There are four tabs you must press in, and the black plastic surround will come right out. However, one of the tabs is behind the front cover of the lock housing so it makes for an extremely tight fit. Needless to say, I had an encounter with Murphy's Law... FUCK YOU MURPHY!

No big deal, it'll still clip back on just fine, but a little bit of a bummer. So when you are doing this step, be a little more careful than me, study it closely to see how it comes out, don't force anything.

Everything back together! Now its time to install.

Shitty night time picture I know, I will have to get a better picture on the next sunny day opportunity which may be a while from now with all this hurricane weather.

edit:

The Boss
Drives:

#54 - 01-02-2014, 11:28 PM.

Few days ago after a good drive, I go to pull out my ignition key out and felt that it was hot as shit. Immediately I thought to myself, "ah here we go, bad ignition switch". Although nothing was wrong with my switch, no signs of failure or anything. Even so, I decided to pull my bezel off around the steering column and check it out further for any signs of damage. Nothing. Hmm. I felt on the steering column itself and the whole damn thing was super hot.

I popped the hood and the problem was obvious. On the KA24E with stock downpipe it gets awfully close to the steering column, more so than with an SR20 at least. I guess the steering column decided it was going to absorb some of the radiant heat from the exhaust. Cool, except not... Because I know when it comes to electronics, exposed heat over time is no good, so I knew something had to be done.

Rewind back a few days prior, I had been discussing with a race shop in Georgia about heat reflective films and different variances they offer that I plan to use on the S13.5. They were kind enough to send me a few samples of the gold and silver films. Perfect!

I decided that the two-tone would get the ever popular GOLD film to go along with the GT-C's and the S13.5 would get SILVER.

Anyways, so I cut out a little piece of the gold and wrapped it around the steering column section closest to the exhaust.

Pretty sweet, stuff sticks great and the glue that is used is flame retardant. You can take a lighter to it and it will not catch flame. A lot of the gold film out there you get on eBay and non-reputable shops do not have this quality. They use cheap glue which is term, will ignite and you'll end up with a crispy engine bay. Beware eBay warriors.

Another little mishap happened however... I went to pull my spark plug wires to get better access to the steering column, and 3 of the 4 wires fell apart. It was obvious the heat had gotten to them as well. So I got another set of fresh spark plug wires and still had enough gold film laying around so I decided to wrap up the spark plug wires near the head.

Obviously I can't do this every time I change spark plug wires as that would get expensive, but I wonder if this would increase the longevity of the wires themselves. If so, it may be worth the cost. Especially if performance is also improved due to less resistance within the wires.

Took the car out for a long drive got the car up to operating temp and the ignition was nice and cool and the car felt extremely responsive. So I am thoroughly satisfied with the reflective film and its qualities.

The Boss
Drives:

#55 - 01-02-2014, 11:28 PM.

Picked up some goodies. Pretty sure I'll be going GT-R grille, but I'll keep a BIG letter Silvia grille just in case I want to switch it up.

The Boss
Drives:

#56 - 01-02-2014, 11:28 PM.

^ Thanks.

Well this thread will have little to no activity from here on out (until the S13.5 is finished). I have the car exactly where I want it, nothing but oil changes and spark plugs for me now. I plan on switching back to the SE's when the fall semester starts up. The tires on the SE's are practically new so I'd like to get some more use out of them.

With that said, I'll leave some eye candy for you guys...

My lovely girlfriend and the 2tone <3.

The Boss
Drives:

#57 - 01-02-2014, 11:28 PM.

Fall semester has begun. Switched back to the SE's since the tires on them are practically new. No point in letting good tires go to waste. The rear tires on the GT-C's are worn out (mostly from when they were on the S13.5), the fronts are still in excellent condition however.

Here's how the car currently sits now...

I won't be bringing the GT-C's back out until spring time. By then they will have new tires and I'll have adjustable suspension arms to fix any alignment errors.

The Boss
Drives:

#58 - 01-02-2014, 11:28 PM.

I recently did an oil change at 97,000 miles. Replaced spark plugs. Flushed radiator etc etc. The car continues to treat me very well.

I bought those DEI spark plug wire sleeves that Glenn was talking about.

They work great, so I'm happy about that!

The Boss
Drives:

#59 - 01-02-2014, 11:29 PM.

After 25 years, this little coupe has finally hit the 100,000 mile marker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajAFctGRFpM

The Boss
Drives:

#60 - 01-02-2014, 11:29 PM.

Planning to enter the two-tone as a show car at .

Decided to make a small subtle change... Amber/Clear turn signals.

No lights on.

Running lights.

Running lights + turn signal flash.

Personally, I've always felt that the half/half's look better on a car with pop-ups. Very happy with the appearance of the car now.

Now I need to get new tires for the GT-C's and slap the HKS coilovers on... I'd like to pick up an Origin roof spoiler but no one seems to have them in stock and ready to ship at the moment.

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ