NissanPure.com:

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The Boss
Drives: S13.5 Nissan 240sx (Fastback)

#21 - 01-02-2014, 11:18 PM.

Lookin' good!

I have a few items in-bound which should be here by Thursday.

She's almost ready to breathe again.

The Boss

#22 - 01-02-2014, 11:19 PM.

Boom. This past week has been crazy! New and exciting things are happening in my life. The 2tone has been put on the back-burner due to time constraints but has not been forgotten.

With that said lets get the picture flow going...

Thursday the HKS sport exhaust and test pipe arrived. I'm really curious to see how loud its going to be. If it is any louder than the S13.5 I might be mildly disappointed, lol.

I've pretty much purchased all that I need to get the car going. Here is a little (big) item I bought from Nissan to plug up the EGR nonsense on the exhaust manifold...

Exhaust manifold bolted on. I was not able to extract the stud (bottom left corner) from the head. Ended up making it worse so I just left it. Hopefully it'll be leak free. You can also see the plug bolted in towards the back

Fresh valve cover gasket and wrinkle black valve cover now bolted to the head.

At this point all about putting it back together. Little by little.

The Boss

#23 - 01-02-2014, 11:19 PM.

Alright. Work has been done. Good news and bad news.

Got everything hooked up, started filling up the fluids and when filling up the radiator I noticed a small leak coming from the center of the engine. Turns out that its leaking from the water pump weep hole. So I need to get a new water pump, no biggie.

Despite this discovery I decided to fire it up anyways, after a few attempts she fired right up and sounded really good. A little rough on the idle, but held steady. Exhaust sounds good, won't know for sure how loud until I can drive it around.

Here is the engine bay how it sits right now...

HKS Sport Exhaust...

So yeah, momentary delay but overall great news. Sounds like she has a lot of life still in her!

Ordering water pump now...

The Boss

#24 - 01-02-2014, 11:19 PM.

I must be losing my mind. Last night I decided to fill up the radiator and run the car for a little bit again. Well, I go to fill up the radiator and no longer is it leaking from the water pump, wtf?

So I bought 4 gallons of 93 octane and a can of seafoam. Poured half of the seafoam into the crankcase and the other half into the gas tank. Decided to drive the car to my friend's house which is about a mile down the road. Idle was steady at about 750rpm. I couldn't really rev it up much higher than 3500 rpm, seemed very boggy in general. The oil is still thick and chunky so I need to do an oil change now.

Before the trip to my friend's house I actually drove it around the neighborhood and it was pouring out smoke from the exhaust. So much so that an undercover cop was in the area and pulled me over right outside my house talking about pollution fine bullshit haha. No ticket thankfully.

So at this point I'm hoping that a few more oil changes, check timing, check spark plugs / wires etc. The car will start acting a bit more peppy.

Parked at my friend's house. :)

The Boss

#25 - 01-02-2014, 11:19 PM.

Bad news, nothing changed. It's still mixing oil and water. I drained the oil, its already the same chocolate milkshake as before, only after driving it for like 10 mins tops. Once I drained the oil I kept pouring water into the radiator and then water started coming out of the oil pan.

Time to source another KA24E.

The Boss

#26 - 01-02-2014, 11:20 PM.

Engine swappage update!

My day started off early on Thursday. A roadtrip across Orlando to yank a running KA24E out of a donor vehicle...

My girlfriend and my good friend working on setting the chain up to yank the engine out!

New engine back at home.

Thumbs down to the bad engine. I'm done with this thing.

Getting ready to yank it.

Boom. Goodbye milkshake factory. Yeah, it turned to milkshake only after driving it for 5 minutes. Ridiculous.

Here is the work area.

After pulling the transmission to swap over to the new engine, I inspected the clutch and realized it was DONE. So I had to improvise and headed to AutoZone (with my last $100) and bought a Duralast brand clutch which they had in stock. I hope its sufficient enough for awhile. It does have a lifetime warranty...

Putting the new engine in its place. We are all about doing work!

So yeah, pretty much the last 2 days for me in a nutshell. I will record exhaust sound and maybe me driving around the neighborhood in a few days. Should be fun!

The Boss

#27 - 01-02-2014, 11:20 PM.

Went for a drive last night. Car felt good. Clutch felt great. All systems were go. After about 10 minutes of driving, car started acting like it had a big vacuum leak. Bucking upon throttle, and high / irregular idle. I pulled over to the gas station and checked for any leaks. Nothing... Started the car back up after a few minutes... Problem was gone, and it has yet to do it again. Not sure whats up with that... Drove for a good 30 minutes after that. Engine also will occasionally burn a little oil, I checked the dipstick and noticed it was a little bit above the H marker, so maybe thats why?

Only thing left to do is check timing. Feels like it is slightly off.

Time for pictures!

Oh and exhaust sound as promised...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTAdQ0zYZRo

Sounds really nice and quiet until you go over 4000 rpms, then it sounds like a fart can haha. Overall very nice, I'm content.

The Boss

#28 - 01-02-2014, 11:20 PM.

Picture whoring time!

Drove the car all day today. Pretty damn fun I must say. So many little things to do on the car lol.

I removed the stock antenna. It was all loose and rattling around in the wind. Now it's a dedicated nub. I plugged it up with some tail light sealant so it won't leak.

I also decided to remove the 3rd brake light. Thing is hideous IMO. I will eventually be covering up that hole with some matching material and getting the OEM wing w/ 3rd brake light on the trunk.

And here are some interior pictures for your viewing pleasure!

:)

The Boss

#29 - 01-02-2014, 11:20 PM.

Swapped the valve cover back on.

Here's a pic of the engine bay currently...

Tomorrow I plan on replacing the rear transmission seal to prevent the slow dripping action that is occurring at the moment.

After that I need to do the following:

- Buy Viper alarm.
- Install kill switch.
- Get 20% tint.
- Convert to power door locks.
- Convert to half/half manual/power window. (Like in the S13.5)

Once all this is done, and the car still proves to be reliable as it has been... The S13.5 breakdown begins, and this build thread will slow down entirely (whereas the S13.5 build thread will pick up).

The Boss

#30 - 01-02-2014, 11:21 PM.

This will be my last picture whoring post until I do some actual work. :)

The Boss

#31 - 01-02-2014, 11:21 PM.

Did a little work on the car today.

I suspected I was running rich due to a gassy smell in the exhaust. Decided to change the O2 sensor, and good thing I did. I seriously think it was never changed. Take a look...

The tip is completely deteriorated!!!

After swapping in a new sensor the car ran much better, gas mileage seems to be on par as well.

I then decided to remove the clutch damper because its just the right thing to do... lol.

So yeah, little things as of right now until I can buy an alarm system with my next paycheck.

The Boss

#32 - 01-02-2014, 11:21 PM.

Update time.

I love this car. I really do. But the one thing that continued to bother me was the hubcaps. For weeks I've been looking locally for a set of S13 SE wheels, and no one seemed to have a set, or if they did, they weren't selling. Meh.

I hit up Shane and he said he had a set for sale... perfect! Except hes around 3 hours away from me. I tried to look locally a few more days but to no avail. Cape Coral here I come!

Arrived early in the morning, Shane and Trevor came to take a look at Her Mintyness. :)

Bullshitted around the shop for a little bit, took a few pictures here and there...

Two-tone love <3.

Here is Trevor's car...

Gives me insight on how the s13.5 will look when I start doing the teardown.

Trevor working on some bellhousing swappage!

Finally got home and my girlfriend decided she wanted to wash the car and also clean the wheels up. :)

Started swapping the wheels on.

Don't have a picture of all the wheels on at the moment. I will have more pictures tomorrow!

The Boss

#33 - 01-02-2014, 11:21 PM.

Pics of my car from last nights meet...

The Boss

#34 - 01-02-2014, 11:21 PM.

Viper alarm installed. As I was installing the alarm I also was able to fix the seat belt wiring and install my custom passenger side window setup. Power door lock actuators were also added on both sides.

Mintyfresh door plastic.

Power door lock actuator installed.

Wiring up the power window <3.

I took more pictures but they are on the girlfriend's camera.

edit:

Pass. side power door panel.

Center console, power folding mirror switch controls passenger window.

The Boss

#35 - 01-02-2014, 11:22 PM.

Thanks. Here is the write-up: http://nissanpure.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17

Got some more pictures of the car while I was working on the power window and alarm installation.

Fresh plastic peeling right off.

Rare action shot of me fiddling with the power window regulator.

The Boss

#36 - 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM.

Swapped on the good tires from the stock steelies to the SE's.

All thats left is tintage at this point, that'll be next paycheck. :)

edit:

The Boss

#37 - 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM.

In other news, I've acquired an OEM trunk w/ wing. Going to eventually have it painted silver-green pearl to match when I'm ready to go that route. I still need to find a clean deck lid that doesn't have the 3rd brake light slot.

Slowly just collecting a few parts for the two-tone here and there while I save up a little money before the S13.5 tear down. I still have a K's two-tone bumper in VA waiting to be shipped to FL (Shane <3).

I'm expecting to get tints sometime next week. And before summer hits I need to fix the A/C and convert the system to R134a refrigerant.

The Boss

#38 - 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM.

Got the fresh tints yesterday! 20% all around, and the front windshield strip as well. Immediate temperature drop inside the cabin when driving in the hot Florida sun. Visually, I think 20% is the perfect shade of tint.

Parked in the shop, awaiting tintage. The tinting guy was amazed at the car's condition. He was telling me how 90% of the 240SX's he gets are junk.

Here are a few pictures comparing tint with the S13.5, which has 15%.

The two-tone can sit happy for a while. Other than routine maintenance, there isn't anything more I want to do (at this point). All my attention will now be directed at the S13.5.

Although, I may have some new wheels in the mix...

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM.

The Boss

#39 - 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM.

At this point I'm waiting for my tax return. Currently looking around a time frame nearing the end of February. Once I receive it, the fun begins:

- Swapping on the lowering springs and KYB GR2 struts, which will lower the car about 1.5" from stock ride height.
- The S13.5 will get the stock suspension, the HKS coilovers will be stored in a box until ready to be used again.
- Adjustable RUCAs / Front tension rods from S13.5 will be swapped on.
- Lifetime alignment plan for the car.
- One piece aluminum driveshaft.
- J30 VLSD.

edit:

Just hit 91K mileage, which means time for an oil change!

The Boss

#40 - 01-02-2014, 11:24 PM.

Cruising...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpsBIZIQkw

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ