NissanPure.com:

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Novice
Drives: `05 Porsche Carrera GT (now Repo'd)

#81 - 02-15-2014, 9:06 AM.

dude what did you do to the weatherstripping on your 1/4 glass? that shit is junk without it.

The Boss
Drives: S13.5 Nissan 240sx (Fastback)

#82 - 02-15-2014, 10:32 AM.

Originally posted by old_s13 »
dude what did you do to the weatherstripping on your 1/4 glass? that shit is junk without it.

I need to get all new weatherstripping for the quarter windows so I cleaned all the old off. All of the weather stripping is junk on this car so it all needs to be replaced with new.

In other news, looks like I'm going to be buying a TIG welder here soon if all goes as planned; start welding shit together LIKE BOSS.

edit:

LOL. I see what you're saying Mike. It looks like you can't buy that separate from the dealership... I guess I'm buying new glass then. Oh well, new glass will look much better.

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 02-15-2014, 11:23 AM.

The Boss

#83 - 03-02-2014, 8:13 PM.

TIG welder purchased. Getting everything set up, got the argon tank, tungsten rods, aluminum and steel filler.

Hopefully by next week or so have the engine bay welded up in the spots I need.

The Boss

#84 - 04-20-2014, 9:20 PM.

Been getting a lot of work done these past couple of weeks.

Decided to remove all 4 wheels off the car and create a dolly system.

I have this in the front and in the rear is the same but two separate platforms instead of joined together. Jackstands on the platforms. Makes it easy to roll the car around however I please for easy access in the garage.

After that I decided I wanted to remove the front crossmember, steering rack etc so that the engine bay will be completely clear for the engine bay restoration. Well, I ran into a little problem.

On the passenger side, the tie rod end did not want to separate from the steering knuckle. Odd, the driver side came out with a few hammer taps. Needless to say, an air hammer didn't even budge it. Had to pull the knuckle from the car, get a torch and bang the shit out of it with a mini thor hammer. No idea why it was so seized, there wasn't any damage to the inside hole, nice and smooth.

To get an understanding of how seized it was...

The ball joint popped out of the socket before it decided to separate from the knuckle. LOL.

Despite all that, got everything out of there and was blessed with a bare bones empty ass engine bay.

Now onto the welding.

If you can remember, I stated previously I needed to plug up the main harness wire route on the driver side.

Wire wheeled it up.

Cut out a 4" piece of metal, which will serve to plug this sucker up once and for all.

I don't have a finished picture of it yet, as I still need to do some grinding and more finalization but here's an action shot of it being welded on!

So after all that, decided to plug up some holes in the engine bay.

Grinded down. There are some small pinholes which will be fixed.

As we started to weld the big plate in the bay, we ran out of argon gas, so had to cut it short...

Still got a lot more to do in this area but as of right now, that plate is in there.

More updates coming shortly!

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 04-29-2014, 8:01 PM.

The Boss

#85 - 04-22-2014, 9:39 PM.

More welding today.

The amount of holes to plug up seems never-ending.

Also plugged up my antenna hole.

Cut out a little piece to fit, this is before welding began.

More pictures again in a few days. Slowly but surely!

The Boss

#86 - 04-26-2014, 7:52 PM.

The welding continues...

Close up of the antenna hole, little body filler and some sanding should do the trick here.

Welding more holes, just because.

I decided it was time for my A/C holes to go away.

As you can see, a lot of grinding ahead of me, although I'm not concerned at the moment, just want to get all the welding done first.

Welding this shut entirely and will redrill a hole to fit my intercooler piping accordingly.

All buttoned up.

More progress coming soon!

The Boss

#87 - 04-29-2014, 7:40 PM.

The work never stops, Finding more and more things to plug up...

Still have to do driver's side.

Filled up some more holes, passenger side is pretty much done. All thats left on the passenger side is on the side of the frame rail. On the driver side there's about 5 more holes + the same holes on the frame rail.

Filled up some holes on the radiator support...

My boy Josh putting in work! However, no more grinding until we get some ear plugs, I think my ears are still ringing. Haha.

And lets not forget...

My lovely finger dust artwork.

After the engine bay is completed, the process of cut + welding the S13 and S15 fenders begins. Fun fun fun!

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 04-29-2014, 7:41 PM.

The Boss

#88 - 05-06-2014, 7:50 PM.

Moving right along...

Some more holes in the firewall to plug up.

Plugged.

Time to tackle this side.

Welding helmet ended up breaking apart so the welding has been post-poned for a little bit. I actually picked up another helmet earlier today so things should be picking back up in a couple of days.

Decided it was time for the hood prop to go and convert to hood dampers. Which means, say bye bye to this.

Gone, lots of grinding to do still.

Was looking under the car and not enjoying what I was seeing. Dented in frame rails like the majority of all 240sx's. Then my eyes gazed upon it.... surface rust!

Wire wheeled all of the rust off and prepped the metal for a quick primer spray down.

Now I feel much better for the time being, I also went around in other places and any surface rust found was dealt with accordingly.

After all of that, I decided I wanted a removable radiator core support. That way taking the engine out and putting it back in will be that much easier. Don't have to worry about the right tilt angle and not screwing up my freshly painted bay.

With that said, I decided to fab up my own brackets, out of a door hinge.

I will cut each in half and sandwich it in between the area that is being cut shown below...

Here you can see about where the bracket will be, there will be an identical bracket underneath all bolted down by two M6 x 1.0 bolts. The line signifies where I will be making my cut.

Once I make both cuts, the only thing holding up the middle section of the radiator support is the two headlight brackets and the middle hood latch bracket. Thus, making it relatively easy to remove.

That's all for now. Should be finishing up the welding here soon, then the grinding begins.

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 05-06-2014, 7:51 PM.

The Boss

#89 - 05-08-2014, 11:37 PM.

Woke up and decided to get down to it.

That radiator support is gone. But where did it go?

I THREW IT ON THE GROUND!!!

Now, at first I had the brackets exposed...

Then I decided to hide them...

Still have to clean it up to make it look presentable, I'm thinking maybe some type of rubber liner to fill in the gap to make it look pretty.

Novice
Drives: Nissan Altima

#90 - 07-06-2014, 9:42 AM.

@KiLLeR2001 Hi, what coil cleaner you used? Do you know about Nar-Coil and Gab-Coil which is manufactured by gur-technologies.com? I wonder if industrial grade is stronger than commercial grade coil cleaner. Should commercial be used for car air conditioner cleaning?

Last edited by flashyroadster9 on 07-06-2014, 9:43 AM.

The Boss

#91 - 07-18-2014, 5:34 PM.

Been an interesting few weeks messing around with these custom S13.5 OEM metal fenders.

This is where I'm at right now, still a lot of work to do. I will have a lot more pictures and more details later once I finish the process but it has definitely been a learning experience... The driver's side should go much smoother.

The Boss

#92 - 08-17-2014, 9:22 PM.

Started putting some work into the driver's side. Needed a break with the passenger side.

Little bit better method this go around.

Mounted up. It's a series of tact welding, hammering, and refitting back onto the body thus far.

Lot of grinding ahead, but its slowly coming together. Fixing the passenger side will be interesting to say the least...

Novice
Drives: 1991 Nissan Deuce Forty

#93 - 08-24-2014, 8:42 AM.

Im actually in the process of doing alot of the same mods as yourself on my s13! i wrecked mine however, and destroyedddd the passenger rear fender... long story short, 30mm overs on the back... Now shes getting HER heart done up in the machine shop. I too was wanting to go the s15 front conversion, and have literally looked for years on exactly how to cut and dimensions WHERE to cut the s13 fenders and the s15 fenders... Was realllyyyyy hoping you may be able to shed some light on that for me... The tig welding part is no big deal to me, as im a Aerospace Welder at GE Aviation, after i clock out i can probably weld it at work IF thats even a possibility??? But ya, do you think i could cut and weld these fenders from dimensions you may give me or is this something you hd to cut little by little to test fitment and adjust fire?

The Boss

#94 - 08-24-2014, 8:53 PM.

Still going through the process, but when it is all said and done and I'm happy with it, I will try to include as many details as possible on how one can replicate these fenders.

In other news...

Pulling out the welder and argon tank each and every time to do a job was getting to be an annoyance. So me and my good friend decided we need to build a portable cart for this thing. And that's exactly what we did over the weekend.

Building the base.

Decided to stain it mahogany.

Got the matching set of wheels on there.

And that's the final finished product.

Next weekend we should be able to knock out the driver side fender, and maybe finish up the passenger side if luck permits.

Stay tuned!

Novice

#95 - 08-24-2014, 9:08 PM.

Thanks man.... love your thread by the way... i joined this forum solely because of it. lol! As far as i know, you'd be the first to actually describe how its done rather than the all too generic response of, take it to your local weld/body shop an have them cut and weld them together for you??? Those oem fenders are too expensive IMO to gamble around with cutting and recutting and so on.

Thanks for all youve done and are doing! Keep up the good work on this thing!

The Boss

#96 - 08-24-2014, 9:34 PM.

Thank you. Once I get these fenders done things will start moving a lot quicker for this project.

Bought some more goodies the other day to help me reach my goal of 350hp.

Greddy intake manifold, Tomei exhaust manifold, Z32 maf, and 740cc Nismo injectors.

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 08-24-2014, 9:35 PM.

Novice

#97 - 08-24-2014, 9:41 PM.

You must make the big bucks be buying all this stuff and a greddy intake! Haha can't find those things for less than around 900 I think last I checked...

The Boss

#98 - 09-01-2014, 4:17 AM.

Moving along slowly with the fender. Starting to understand why only a handful of people actually go through with doing a proper metal OEM conversion fender. This has been quite a process that I'm not sure I would want to go through again.

Here is where I'm at:

The metal started to get thin in the areas where the overlap occurred so now going to go back over with more filler on the backside and regrind. Then more hammer work, fitting onto the car, and finally a light skin of body filler in areas that need it. The goal is to use the least amount of body filler as possible.

Speaking of body filler... Decided to finally discover what was going on with my passenger side rear quarter panel, since the body line had always been mysteriously missing.

Needless to say...

I have a lot of work ahead of me. But the #1 priority is to finish the S13.5 fenders, and then tuck them safely away in the house until its time for the painting process. After that, this rear quarter is going to be fixed the right way.

Last edited by KiLLeR2001 on 09-01-2014, 4:20 AM.

Novice
Drives: `05 Porsche Carrera GT (now Repo'd)

#99 - 10-27-2014, 11:54 PM.

whoa...

i havent logged on in a long while, but man... your friend needs to keep practicing his weld skills. im not pro, but ive been practicing tig for around 5 years and finally can say that my welds are looking pretty good. given that your friend is using tig, he should be able to lay down much cleaner welds.

still, i tip my hat off to you guys for trying... better than those bullshitters who are scared to get their hands dirty or pay for everyone to turn their wrenches.

good luck
mike

The Boss

#100 - 10-29-2014, 12:46 AM.

Originally posted by old_s13 »
whoa...

i havent logged on in a long while, but man... your friend needs to keep practicing his weld skills. im not pro, but ive been practicing tig for around 5 years and finally can say that my welds are looking pretty good. given that your friend is using tig, he should be able to lay down much cleaner welds.

still, i tip my hat off to you guys for trying... better than those bullshitters who are scared to get their hands dirty or pay for everyone to turn their wrenches.

good luck
mike

Yeah, the RH fender has been scrapped. Chalk that one up for learning experience... Currently in the process of ordering another set of S15 fenders. The LH side is pretty much done to my liking, a little more work on it and it'll be ready for the painting process.

Once the new fenders come in, repeat the same process on the RH side and get these bad boys completed so I can focus on the body work everywhere else before paint!

Post new thread Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Username:   Password:   Remember Me?    *Login
* FAQ